Monday, April 27, 2009

Good Gardens = Good Neighbors


In the Mending Wall, the poet Robert Frost's neighbor says to him, "Good fences make good neighbors." I thought about that line and decided to try a new one. "Good gardens make good neighbors." Last summer Mary Kay kept on bringing home fresh vegetables shared by good neighbors. I sat in the house and once in a while ventured out to mow the lawn. This spring I decided to join in with the neighbors and raise some vegetables for ourselves. With a bountiful harvest we hope to also be sharing with our neighbors. Already this spring I have visited with more good neighbors than all the previous years combined. I have recorded movies of Cait and Jessie picking lettuce and Becky planting blueberries. I have offer of a trade of Bok Choy for Swiss Chard. Now if I only knew what Bok Choy is. People have told me to come and get volunteer Tommy Toe tomatoes and extra squash plants. The good neighbors are enthused about their yards filling up with vegetables. Yes, "good gardens are making good neighbors" and we are just getting started in late April.

2 comments:

  1. Bok Choy is a chinese cabbage. It is excellent cooked with a little musroom sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith,

    What a wonderful tribure to the power of community.

    ReplyDelete