Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bag Gardening with Doreen


I took Jodie's idea of bag gardening and did a little twist:

I've got some asparagus and strawberry plants to install at the farm, but my ground is not yet ready for them. Unfortunately the plants don't know that and needed to be in soil asap. So I took a couple bags of soil I had on-hand,laid each on the site where these plants will be permanently installed and then followed Jodie's directions on bag gardening.

I followed up with liberally covering each bag garden with some grass clippings (actually I just pulled grass and clover out by hand until l had enough). The decomposing greens will: provide nitrogen to the plants (approximately 5% according to studies), act as a mulch on the soil, and help protect the plastic from harmful UV rays (to help decrease breakdown/leaching). The weight of the bag on the site will help further break down the compost underneath (I hope).

Now, my goal is to either cut away the plastic to allow the plants further growth into the bed underneath or gently remove and transfer each plant to the permanent site at the end of the season .

Thanks to Jodie for bringing this idea to other gardeners!

Also, I tried to find information on the leaching aspect of the bags and didn't have much luck. One site suggested that the plastic leaches lead as it decomposes, but didn't provide useful details. The question would be whether the lead goes into the soil or the plant (neither a great option) and how valid a concern this may be.

I'll let you know how it goes and please share any useful tips you may discover along the way!

Take care --
doreen

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine that the bag would leak lead. No, I don't think so. It may breakdown and degrade over time with some plastic chemical leakage, but your garden will be finished before that happens. Use once and then just empty the bags in a raised bed or right where you have them when the season is over.

    ReplyDelete